The Birthday Box is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide local children in need with “birthdays in a box”. These boxes contain everything a child would need to celebrate his/her birthday including a fresh cake (or cake mix, frosting and disposable cake pan), plates, napkins, forks, candles, decorations, a new book and a wrapped age-appropriate gift. Volunteers assemble a “birthday in a box” and a few days prior to the child’s birthday, it is delivered to the outreach facility and in turn given to the child’s family.
The Birthday Box works only with outreach facilities that service local children in need. The New York Division is currently partnered with Friends of Karen and WJCS. Through Friends of Karen, boxes are delivered to children suffering from life-threatening illnesses and to their siblings as well. Through WJCS, boxes are delivered to underprivileged children ages 1-4 and girls ages 9-13.
Originally founded by two moms in New Jersey, The New York division was started by Stacey Iskovitz, a local teacher and mom who lives in Mount Kisco. Stacey opened the New York division in December and is looking to build inventory before box delivery begins in August.
There are so many ways that you can help build Stacey’s inventory to allow for delivery of these boxes in Westchester.
- Donate a new toy, book or gift card
- Donate a gift certificate to a local bakery
- Donate wrapping paper and tape
- Donate a package of candles, a new package of party plates, napkins and/or forks
- Donate new party decorations (blowers, party hats, banners, etc.)
- Make a monetary donation. We will use your gift to purchase toys and supplies for the boxes. Donations can be made on the website: www.thebirthdaybox.org. Please note that the donation is meant for NY or email Stacey to let her know.
Other ways to help:
- Sponsor a Birthday Box: Make a donation in honor of someone’s birthday, anniversary or special milestone and give a child in need his or her birthday wish.
- Give Back at your Birthday Party: Collect gifts at your party to donate to The Birthday Box. You’ll be able to celebrate your impact on many children in the community.
- Host a Collection Drive: Hosting a collection drive in your community or with an organization you belong to can help many children.
- Volunteer: The Birthday Box is always looking for help from individuals, Girl or Boy Scout troops, youth groups, etc. Volunteers can help organize inventory, wrap gifts and pack boxes.
Do you own or work for an organization that could help? The Birthday Box is always looking for new partners to help make these birthday wishes come true for local children!
To learn more or make donations, please contact:
Director, NY Division
Facebook: The Birthday Box